Tuesday, August 13, 2013

What if I don't feel like smiling?

Originally posted as part of the Scroll newsletter - The week of April 17, 2013.

Chester's Note:  As I was sitting down this afternoon to write the article for this week's newsletter, I came across this entry from April.  I feel it is still very much applicable today as it was when it was written (before Silas went home to be with the Lord).  I hope you enjoy it.


A message from

Pastor Chester

Psalm 62:6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

 

When discussing the importance of smiling to visitors, a member recently said, I'm finding it hard to smile today..... Please pray for Silas's family. They are enjoying his last little bit of time here on earth and I know that this time is so precious to them. I know this is devastating to them and life is HARD right now.... my heart is breaking for his parents and brothers who will be left behind to endure the pain of his loss. I know God is able and will comfort them, but I know the sting of losing someone is hard. Jessica's (Silas's Mom) latest update is that she and Archie had to pick a burial spot and make his final arrangements today and that it was something that no parent should ever have to do for a 4 year old child, I agree…

 

            As for many of you, April 15 was more than a tax deadline this year.  Upon hearing the news of the terror attack in Boston, I was glued to the television and remained there until I fell asleep.  Hearing the same report over and over I kept asking myself (and God) “why?”  I understand the theology of living in a fallen world and all, but when tragedy’s take place I hurt like the rest of you. The member’s point was basically, “How can I smile to visitors in church, when I can’t even find a reason to smile right now, because my heart hurts so much.”

 

I think it's so very important for us to remember something. We aren't at church to make people feel welcomed. Although, that is definitely something we should do, if you walk into church with a heavy load, better to leave it at the altar with God than fake a smile and wear yourself down even further. Ecclesiastes 3:4 reminds us that there is “a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.” Today may be your time to weep, it was for me. But, we must remember who our Lord is and that “Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.” (Psalm 30:5b)
 In the midst of sorrow, find encouragement in that Jesus is who God’s Word says He is, for in Christ alone, we find our reason to smile.

 

Walking arm in arm for the Glory of God,

Chester

No comments:

Post a Comment